Monday, April 29, 2013

Vintage fabric hoodie.

Check out the hoodie made for my 15 month old.  I scored some vintage late 70's/early 80's fabric from the thrift store that I volunteer at for $1 a yard.  The toggles came from a sweater I found at the same thrift store.  The brown fabric for the fastening loops came from my old floor cushions that I took apart (and re-did at that link) and the pleather triangles were cut out from a purse I found at the dig and save thrift store. I originally bought the purse to use the buckles for the straight jacket I made a while back.  More uses for stuff, yay!  Anyway, I saw a picture of a hoodie that someone made for a little girl and I loved the asymmetrical design of the front and decided I wanted to make some adjustments.  I changed the hood to make it into 3 panels so I could add more of the accent color and I used 2 toggles to close it, instead of 3 buttons.  I am super pleased with the result and everyone who saw it today commented on how he was dressed so cool.  :-D

Check it out!
Tracing out is sweater/ Cutting the pieces / Basting 

After the necessary adjustments of the hood and collar. 

The best part?  It only cost about $1 to make!  I drafted my own pattern tracing around a sweater he already owns and I used way less then a yard. OH! and the fabric I drafted the pattern onto was a large mens shirt that a friend gave to me to use for any possible sewing projects I have.  I hope you are convinced you can do something with left overs too! 

Vintage shirt of the day.  He wore it under the hoodie :-)


P.S If you have anything that you want to pass onto me for sewing, let me know!  If I can't use anything I donate it but I mostly keep everything, because I never know when it will come in handy.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing!!!!!!! You are so talented!!!! And my baby looks so handsome. Love you!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete