Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Quick update...shirt making!

Just a quick update here.  I have been working on and off and learning my way around making myself a shirt.  I have an annoying shirt size and no shirt ever fits right off the rack.
It's taking me a pretty long time because A) I never made a shirt before B) My health and motherhood have been completely exhausting and C) I deviated from a basic pattern that did not include how to do a collar, or cuffs.  I didn't really think about that at the time, but now it seems very odd.

Anyway here is my progress.
 Mock sleeve with tailored placket cuff.  My first try at attempting this.  I gave myself a grade of "B" because I understand how to do it, but I could have paid attention to the details.  I looked at a sewing book from the library, as well as a current shirt that I  own.  The book did not include specific details about measurements so I took the measurements from my shirt.


Peter pan collar.  Was a little off center but since I only pinned it, I was able to unpin it and get it centered better.  I am not loving the point at which it will be joined with buttons but, the pattern was too basic and did not include any information on attaching a proper collar.

Since there wasn't any information on the pattern I was stuck for a long time trying to figure out how to attach a collar, today it just came to me out of no where, after having no luck finding any good tutorials online.  Even though there was a basic pattern it seemed to only cover 40% of what I needed to do.  The other 60% was anticipating what needed to be done and learning it on my own.  At least I am learning though, right? :-)

The fabric was purchased from the thrift store I volunteer at for $1.99 so I hope to have a, thrifty priced, wearable shirt when it's done.  I will post the final product when I am finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment