Sunday, April 28, 2013

Antique first aid box upcycle to sewing cabinet

Here is a little something I did to get organized.  My sewing space is minuscule so it's tough keeping it neat yet functional.  Luckily I have a few things around the house that have helped with organizing.  A cigar box for one, and this antique first aid box.  Check it out.
Before

Before:  There was some cardboard glued to the inside that I already ripped out then I had to take off all the left over glue.  I left the outside in its original state and did a quick wipe down to the inside.

My husband found this guy at a garage sale this past summer for $2.00 and he loved it.  He wanted to come up with a purpose for it but it ended up just sitting up against a wall in our living area because it was just never decided on.  It wasn't until I was having a lot of difficulty locating bobbins and pins and anything else I needed that I had a light bulb moment looking at this old cabinet.  I immediately got to work.








The process

I picked up this screen printed sample at a local goodwill for $0.69 and am glad I was able to find a use for it.  The other beige fabric was from freecycle.

There was a bit of sewing involved, but I could have used iron on interfacing.  I was in a sewing mood I guess.  The screen printed fabric on the front and the beige fabric on the back.  I didn't want the glue I used to stick it onto the cabinet to come through so that is why I thought some backing was necessary.  Now I have a place to keep my spools of thread and notions so things are easier to find!  The best part?  This project was under $3!

The result

1 comment: