Tuesday, April 2, 2013

$1.45 Custom Bugaboo Cameleon Hood! Tutorial....kinda!


UPDATED TUTORIAL ** Better pictures, better explanation! Click click :-)

In my last post I was trying to explain how I created the straight jacket so I was kind of inspired to make a loose tutorial for this project.  A custom made Bugaboo Cameleon hood or sun canopy.  Its not super detailed but maybe it will get you started.  I also looked at my current canopy and formulated some instructions to make the process a little more seamless.  It helped, but I still made mistakes.


Here are my mistakes.  I didn't measure the inner piping properly so I ended up having to add a little extra.


I didn't check my sizing along the way because I was overly confident in my template :-/  Turns it seems that the front most piece wasn't traced out properly or something because it was pretty loose on both sides.  I pinched it and chalked where it needed to be brought it.  Unfortunately, it was completely finished so I had to use the seam ripper A LOT to undo the areas I needed to repair.  Oh well, we live and we learn :-P







Here are my crude instructions I wrote out. 

ALSO! Like the title of this post states.  $1.45 including tax is what this custom canopy cost me!  I paid for 2 bundles of fabric at goodwill and viola!  Considering these things cost over $70.00 on the low end, I think learning how to sew is worth the savings.  Give it a shot!  If you are unwilling to, maybe we can work something out where you send me the fabric and I can make it for you for a reasonable cost.  I would be happy to share my experience with you while you have a 1 of a kind custom canopy for your baby.  :-D

Here is the finished product.  I can't wait to make another one!

**check out my new hood and seat liner! I plan to do another picture posting on how to make the whole set.  :-)
http://sewthriftymom.blogspot.com/2013/05/diy-bugaboo-canopy-and-seat-liner-for.html?m=1 ***


4 comments:

  1. Really nice and amazing. Love it.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I know this is quite an old post but I was wondering if your offer still stands. I bought some fabric to make a Bugaboo Bee canopy, but I really don't have the skill to do it. How much would you charge to create a canopy with fabric I mail you? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm replying super late! If you are still wanting the canopy made I can do it for $25 with your fabric. Unfortunately I don't have a bee hood template to follow so I would need yours to make a pattern and then make the hood from there. $25 would cover the work and you would have to send me a prepaid shipping back to you. Let me know if that is something you want to do. My time frame would be 24 hours from receiving the hood and the fabric to mailing back out to you. My email is n.andujarfrancis@gmail.com to set it up or if you have any other questions. Thanks!

      Delete