Friday, March 22, 2013

Custom made straight jacket...with upcycled materials!! :-D

 SO, it took a couple of weeks using all of the spare time I had but I did it.  The canvas was a freecycle find and the buckles were from a couple of thrift stores.  I had fun working on this because I got to get out and hunt for the buckles. 
The straight jacket was a request made months ago that I was finally able to get around to do. It needed to be finished by Thursday March 28 and I am so happy to say that I finished early! 

Anyway, check it out and tell me what you think!

Here is the back view >> 




The Process:
I knew that I was the approximate size that the jacket needed to fit so I was lucky there.  I just used a shirt that was a little loose on me and started tracing out the shape onto the canvas so I could get started. 
I then took apart a dress shirt that I got at the dig and save thrift store so I could use it as a pattern for the sleeve.  The dig and save thrift store charges by the pound so it can be a cheap way to get materials for projects.
I measured the length of my arms and added several inches so I knew the sleeves would reach wrapped around. 

I was about to be lazy and not make it into a turtle neck, but then I changed my mind because I NEEDED to prove to myself that I COULD do a turtle neck with a buckle on it.  I am glad it worked. 

After I got all those pieces cut out and assembled with pins I measured and cut the bottom piece that is sewn all along the bottom.  I originally was going to just roll it up and hem it but I figured that adding a piece would match better with the turtle neck.

After I got all these main pieces together I started on all of the straps.  The straps were pretty easy once I figured out exactly how I would do them.  I just measured the space in between the buckle and multiplied it by 2 so it could be folded over, making for a nice thick strap. 

My machine really had a huge hand to play in this because without the extra features I wouldn't have been able to complete it.  Specifically monogramming and the button hole features.  To make the holes on the straps I monogrammed an "O" so that the holes would be secure and not stretch out.  On the sleeves I used the buttonhole attachment and set it the size of the largest possible button hole.  I pretty much got lucky that it was the perfect size for the strap. 

Anyway I am going into to too much detail and this isn't meant to be a proper tutorial.  :-) 


**UPDATE**
Many many many thanks to my husband for trying this on multiple times so I could place everything!  He was completely integral for getting it right!  :-D

2 comments: