Monday, May 20, 2013

Multi-use fabric box.

My latest sewing project was a fabric box.  I tried to document most of the construction for you so you can also attempt it yourself.  I've seen other tutorials online but decided to fashion my own because I knew I wanted to sew handles right into mine, instead of on to it.  Currently I am looking for creative ways to store my sons things, the first fabric box is for books, the next will be for those giant legos.  That one will have a lid so I will post that one when I am finished.

I got to planning....


My rough plan.  I have found that if you plan things out first and think a few steps ahead you will always have a neater finish.  It's definitely a good habit to have, I know as I have unfinished projects and projects I have had to re-work because I was too hasty.

1.  Cut 5 13''X13'' squares in 1 color for the outside, and the same in another color for the inside of the
box.  That's 10 squares total.
2.  Cut 5 12''X12" squares of interfacing.
  • 2A. If you are going to embellish the sides, do so now.  I created a book and a sign that says "Books" for my box.  I toyed with the idea of sewing on contrasting circles to create polka dots.  Be creative.  This is where you will add your personal touch. 

3. It would be helpful to iron on the interfacing before you start sewing the squares together. (Which I did not: Hasty)

4.  Sew both outer and inner layer of  squares into "t" shapes.










5.  Line up the "t's" and start on the handles.

6.  With right sides together, so up all the side of the "t" so that both the inside and the outside layers are sewn into boxes.  (See my drawing: A to B, C to D, E to F and G to H)





7.  Match up all the seams of both inner and outer layers and top stitch over them starting on the bottom.  Then top stitch from the bottom of the box, up to the opening of the box.  This will help the box hold it's shape and stand even without anything inside of it.






8.  Fold the top of the the box and top stitch all the way around. 


After writing out the instructions, I realized I do not have enough pictures.  Not to worry!  I plan to make another box so I will add in the photos accordingly. 
Thanks for looking! I hope you know that you can easily make a fabric box for whatever your uses, just as easy.  Be sure you comment with your fabric box. 








The details:
The inner blue fabric was from freecycle and left over from this project.
The brown fabric was from my old floor cushions, which I cut apart and used the above project.  Recycling the recycling!  The lighter fabrics were from a pants I cut apart and left over canvas from this project.  The interfacing was from the thrift store I volunteer at for $0.99 and I did not use all of it.  Total spent: approximately $0.75! 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment