Tuesday, February 5, 2013

More thrifty sewing

BEFORE
AFTER
Another one bites the dust!  Well, kinda.  I just finished up modifying my past project, which was the wool jumper I made for my son.  The wool was freecycled, the bottons thrifted and the lining was from a recycled shirt.  The snaps kept popping off so I just decided to make separate pants instead.  I wanted to continue with the cute details so I added a cute butt detail which, amazingly, worked out with a single try.  Yay.  The elastic band was tricky because I cut the elastic too short so I ended up needing to sew it to the pants instead sewing the seam and stringing it through.  I didn't have any spare elastic band because I took it off a pants, so I had to make it work.  Anyway, I think it did work out in the end.

   
The back
Wearing the outfit
 It seems like the little guy had a fun few minutes wearing and his Dad even said it looked almost like a uniform and that I should make him a Battlestar Galactica uniform ^.^  Maybe I will look into making a uniform for my little viper nugget!



My Machine!

Let me introduce you to my current love. Brother XR9500PRW, internet, internet, XR.  So far, out of all the machines I have had the pleasure of owning, I would whole heartedly recommend this one to anyone who is interested in learning how to sew.  I would say it is a really great machine for beginner to intermediate skill level.  It is a computerized machine so you don't need to turn any dials and it tells you if there is an error.  So far I have sewn a wide variety of fabric thicknesses and I haven't had a single problem.  The first machine I used was literally a vintage singer that still had the pedal that needed to pushed back and forth to run the machine.  I didn't do much on that machine because it was a single stitch only.  Then next was one my mother still has but it was also pretty old, maybe for the 90's?  It wasn't until the past 2 years that I really started sewing and learning proper ways to do garments.  Learning I used the Brother 2600i I believe, and that was an okay machine. It served it's purpose, which was practice.  However it met it's end when I tried to seriously sew some upholstery fabric.  Turns out, it is not a good machine for thicker fabrics.  Sure it was inexpensive but it couldn't cut it for serious, everyday sewing.  Now with my new Project Runway machine, I don't have any issues!

On an end note, if anyone who knows me is interested in learning some basics, please let me know and I can show you how to set up your machine and get you started.  :-)

Being sick and having a sick baby hasn't left me much time for finding new music.  Maybe next time!  Although, I have been digging Wire, but I'm too tired to look for a video on youtube!




No comments:

Post a Comment