Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Crate bookshelf

Over the summer I was volunteering at the thrift store and someone donated some old wood crates that I absolutely loved. They lasted less then a week at the thrift store because other people loved them too. During my shift I kept walking by them and envisioning what could be done with them. Since I am terrible for bringing home everything I think is cool I decided that I should exercise my restraint and just let them go. BIG MISTAKE! I still think about those crates! Anyway, a few weeks later my husband showed me this post of "Colorful Crates Turned Awesome Entryway Storage" on apartment therapy. What comes to mind? The crates I walked away from!! grrrr. I confessed that I let some crates go at the thrift store that were very simular and of course he said I should have got them. :(

Anyway, time passed and I was again, on my way to the thrift store when I see this sign on the street "SALE". I drove a couple of blocks thinking, "no no, I don't need anything" but of course I turn around as soon as I remembered the crate incident. Guess what I found? Old wooden crates, yup. But before you get too excited I almost made the same mistake as last time! I walked to the crates looked at them and decided, "not right enough". A few minutes later and I walked only a few feet away and a couple walks up to the crates and is discussing them! Nope, not this time. I spied on them for a bit and as soon as they walked away I scooped them up and even got a deal since I bought all 3!

So far, this is what I have done with the crates.

Ideally I should have more crates because I have too many books for just 3 and it's looking a little cluttered. But for now, sans bookshelf these are perfect! Eventually after I get a bookshelf, or more crates, I want to use 2 above my computer desk for storage/decoration. Maybe paint the insides a bright color? Maybe not. Time will tell and when it does, I'll show you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment