Friday, December 12, 2014

Sewing for my son, 1 piece pajama

Ever since I became a parent my desire to sew has increased.  There are sooooo much things you can make for your children, the possibilities are endless.  In fact, its actually more difficult to actually be able to narrow it down.  Unfortunately, if you have a son, the clothing options are pretty limited.  Yes there are bloggers who make a ton of stuff for boys, but I find its just many different variations of the same thing.  That's also where I am stuck.  His pajama drawer is full and he doesn't have a preference for stuffed animals so I haven't really gone there.  So what's left? More pajamas!  And I sweatshirt too I suppose,  but that will be for another time :-)

Anyway, he grew out of his only 1 piece pajama and it was vintage :-(  I decided I would try to remake it by laying the old pajama on some new fabric.

The old pajama looks more red then pink in real life by it was dark so I guess the camera went wonky.

Anyway, the pajama is 4 pieces plus ribbing around the neck, wrist and ankle.  Couldn't be too hard to replicate right?  I laid it down and just cut around the left side first, then duplicated that to get the right side.  The sleeves were harder for some reason, I waisted fabric because I couldn't get the shape right.  I eventually got it, so good thing there was fabric to spare.

The first side of the pajama.  I duplicated this.
The sleeves
The first step is to sew the back together, then up the front a little, followed by the legs.


This is just the back sewn up.  The next step is to sew a bit up the front from the bottom of where the legs start.
This shows the front sewn up a bit, and then the legs.
I didn't get any other pictures of the construction because I went into full sewing mode.  Next I sewed the shoulder seams.  After that I added the ribbing to the wrists of each sleeve and sewed the sleeves with right sides together.  The sleeves need to be set in so I did that.  Then I added the zipper, which was the tricky part.  I had to really inspect the original pajama to really get it.  It took a bit of sewing and unpicking, but I finally got it to a place where I decided enough was enough, ha.  After the zipper was placed in the ribbing around the neck, I moved on to the final step.  This was adding ribbing to the ankles and it was done.  I started this at around 7:30pm, which is my little guys bed time and I was finished by about 9:30 p.m.  I used both my serger and regular machine.  It didn't take too long so I encourage you to definitely try recreating something of your own too :-)


It ended up being much bigger then I anticipated so I am glad it will last the rest of the colder  months :-)  He pushed the sleeves up on his own,  I guess he has his own styling ideas.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment