Thursday, October 16, 2014

Do you free sew?

So lately, I have been pretty much JUST sewing for work.  I do sewing for the local area so it's all alterations and hemming and I've been kind of burned out.  I have tried to sew a few things for myself but I just can't seem to hold my patience with anything.  I even forced myself to cut out a pattern and fit a shirt for myself.  I started cutting it on some vintage gingham fabric and realized I really should stop because I was cutting pretty recklessly!  So without cleaning up that mess I looked at my fabric scraps and I had a ton of scraps left over from a reupholster job I did a few months ago.  I knew I didn't want to throw them away, but I didn't have any ideas as to what I could do with it.  I mean, I already made some oven mittens out of some of it, so I just started putting it together with out any plan.  I started to free sew.

Free sewing is just like free writing, or doodling, or riffing on a guitar.  It's just letting it flow, you know?  I didn't look at the time, or anything, just joined 2 pieces here and a few more pieces there.  I did lay some out so I could make larger squares kind of crazy quilt style.  I did top stitching with thread from the vintage wooden spools.  I kept going and emptied all the tread on quarter threaded bobbins.  It was wonderful.  Just sewing without any pressure, or plan.  I honestly can't say that I have done that really.  I do a lot of just cut and go and figure it out along the way, but there's still that pressure of wanting a product at the end.  This was much more free.  I didn't have to worry about the size of the pieces or anything.  I did put it all together with what I had so far so here it is.







I already find myself wondering what else I will do with it.  Who knows, maybe nothing.  I guess that's the beauty of it.  Do you free sew? I would love to see what you have done.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment